Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any way to change file icons?
I tried searching this and haven't found any posts on it and nothing in the feature request either, is there a way to change the icons for folders? To be clear, the file icons in my actual drive display the cover art I want them to as I have made my own .ico files for them, yet in the Comics++ UI they show the simple default file icon and are incredibly boring to look at. This may just be me nitpicking, but is there a way I can display custom file icons or even just something other than the bog standard manilla folder icon?

Add Thank You Reply
Moved to features

We didn't add folder thumbnails because the what the folder should use as thumbnail is not obvious. Does it scan archives in the folder? Does it look for the first image file, or folder.png etc? If its only folders does keep traversing folders until it finds a image/archive? Folder/file traversing is very expensive in UWP apps.

I'll see if there is a quick way to add the thumbnail that Windows determines worthy (whatever the Windows file explorer uses). I'll get back to you on this.
(11-30-2017, 06:31 PM)Ninja_Gah Wrote:  I'll see if there is a quick way to add the thumbnail that Windows determines worthy (whatever the Windows file explorer uses). I'll get back to you on this.

Appreciated! If there were a way to simply choose an image file or a windows icon file that would be more than sufficient for me. Beyond that, to be honest I think the easiest thing for an automated function would to simply choose the cover art for the first comic the user has in their series, since the program already populates the covers for the individual files, doing it for the folders would be really nice. I'm a big visual person so being able to differentiate between comics by icons rather than by file names where all the icons are the same is much preferred.
I just pushed a new version where it'll use a thumbnail if Windows already cached it. We tried a few different things and they were all not satisfactory, mainly because it just super expensive to traverse folders and cache thumbnails in UWP. So that's the best we can do Smile

Basically if you wan to have a dedicated thumbnail for all your folders, put a picture in the folder and name it folder.jpg (or any image extension) and have Windows Explorer view the folder in large icon (or bigger), then the thumbnail will be cached, and it will be available to Comics++.

You'll be able to try it out in a few days.
(12-10-2017, 01:28 AM)Ninja_Gah Wrote:  I just pushed a new version where it'll use a thumbnail if Windows already cached it. We tried a few different things and they were all not satisfactory, mainly because it just super expensive to traverse folders and cache thumbnails in UWP. So that's the best we can do Smile

Basically if you wan to have a dedicated thumbnail for all your folders, put a picture in the folder and name it folder.jpg (or any image extension) and have Windows Explorer view the folder in large icon (or bigger), then the thumbnail will be cached, and it will be available to Comics++.

You'll be able to try it out in a few days.

Thanks for the feature update. I just got one more request to add:
Remove the folder icon completely and just show the thumbnail that is cached for the folder.

I installed CBX Shell to cache thumbnails automatically in Windows.
It can handle zip/rar/cbr/cbz.. Hopefully someday it's possible natively in Comics++ Smile

Virustotal got 0 hits and the application works, so seems fine. Source code is included in the zip file.
The thumbnail is generated by Windows, including the folder icon. We have no control over it. And I tried fetching only folder image by itself, the performance was terrible. I also tried using Window's thumbnail caching function calls, they were even worse.

Unless we build a special scheduler to cache these things in the background that doesn't impact performance or resource usage, there's no good way to cache this. I wouldn't complain about building this scheduler if it is the case with all systems, but Microsoft deliberately put restrictions on file access and cripples features of C++ where if this was written purely in native C++ would be none issue. I'm just not interested in making something that is completely unnecessary because its UWP.

I hope you understand Smile