Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
crashes when loading a rar/zip comic on Windows 10 build 10547 ****fixed by Microsoft
I've been using Comics++ and loving it on Windows 10 with the previous insider preview but when I installed the latest preview (10547), it now crashes when loading a cbz or cbr comic. I tried reinstalling, and it still crashes. It doesn't seem to happen to PDF files though which loads correctly, and the thumbnails are still appearing for cbr and cbz files.
Add Thank You Reply
(09-20-2015, 11:23 AM)cdurr Wrote:  I've been using Comics++ and loving it on Windows 10 with the previous insider preview but when I installed the latest preview (10547), it now crashes when loading a cbz or cbr comic. I tried reinstalling, and it still crashes. It doesn't seem to happen to PDF files though which loads correctly, and the thumbnails are still appearing for cbr and cbz files.

I managed to reproduce this on 10547 and did a very brief debug session. This is a very interesting bug as:
- it doesn't happen on other Win 10 builds (I was using Threshold 2 10536 which works fine, and all production builds work fine)
- it crashes inside libarchive, which is an open source library that we use to load rar and zips (that's why pdfs still work its a different library)

So it would be very interesting to see why libarchive behaves this way specifically on 10547, perhaps some base Windows library changed. I'll do a more in depth analysis later this week after I fix my main workstation (hardware failure Sad). Thanks for the report!
Upon further investigating this bug I concluded that this is a issue with Windows 10547 and not Comics++.

Libarchive has a callback to Windows API to read the archive and wait for the read to complete before it returns control back to libarchive. However there is a null pointer reference INSIDE one of the Window's library after waiting. In addition I've verified that all libarchive references are valid before the callback. Since the callback never returns it cannot be an issue with libarchive.

I've tested on Win10 desktop production build and 10536 mobile. Non of them has this issue. The Windows 8.1 app also works fine one 10547, and it shares the same source code. If you really need comics++ I would suggest rolling back to the previous build.

I'll leave this bug open for now. If this is not resolved by the next preview build I'll file a bug with Microsoft.
Good to know. Thanks. Moral of the story: don't use the insider fast ring configuration.
Issue is still present on Build 10565 released today.
I'm aware. I'll file a ticket with Microsoft this week and see what they say.
I would also like to report that the issue exists on the latest Mobile build 10572, whereas it was working perfectly on build 10536. Hopefully Microsoft will sort out whatever they have broken soon.
So turns out they wont give me direct support unless I pay them a lot money.

I started a thread here at the MSDN forums you are welcome to bump the post Tongue . I've also submitted the issue using the Windows Feedback app so select Comics++ and please upvote so we have a higher chance of being heard!
I just tested on just released builds 10576 and 10581 mobile both builds seem to be fixed

Let me know if it is fixed for you guys
Can confirm working on Mobile Insider Fast, build 10581. I can finally read some stuff on the go again!